The Maine Lakes Region is a great place to go if you’re looking to relax and unwind. Picturesque shorelines and scenery greet visitors looking for relaxing getaways with beauty and a sense of serenity. If you want to enjoy the Lakes Region, then you should head to the town of Poland, Maine for some much-deserved rest and relaxation. There is a wonderful Select Registry property in town, right on Tripp Lake, the perfect place to call your home-away-from-home. There are also many fun and relaxing things to do in Poland, Maine during your getaway.
About the Town of Poland, Maine
The town of Poland, Maine was incorporated in 1795 and originally settled by officers and soldiers who served with Sir William Phipps in the 1690 Battle of Quebec. Poland was originally an agricultural area and then in the 1800s industrial companies were attracted to the water power sites in the town. Poland is probably most famous for Poland Springs, which is a mineral spring that was said to have curative properties. Poland Springs is still in business today, bottling and selling water. Today the town is a wonderful community with charming shops and restaurants and many opportunities for outdoor recreation.
Things to Do in Poland Maine
The town of Poland, Maine is located in the Lakes Region of the state, so many popular activities take place out on the water or somewhere outdoors. From hiking and biking to golfing and boating, there is something for everyone to do out in the beautiful area. And there are plenty of great shops and historical sites to see as well! Here are just a few ideas about what to do in the town of Poland Maine.
If you want to hit the course during your stay in the town of Poland Maine, then you are in luck! The area is full of great courses to test your skills on! So if you’re looking for a round of nine or maybe 18, then check out one of the courses below.
- Poland Springs Golf
- Fox Ridge Golf Club
- Spring Meadows Golf Club
- Fairlawn Golf & Country Club
- Naples Golf & Country Club
- Paris Hill Country Club
- Point Sebago Golf
- Norway Country Club
- Summit Springs Golf Course
Shopping and Antiquing
If you’re looking for something special to take back home with you from the town of Poland Maine, then you have several great shopping and antiquing options. At the stores listed below you can find a myriad of treasures that will make the perfect keepsakes from your getaway.
- Poland House and Gifts
- Mayhan’s Antiques and More
- Hawthorne’s Attic
- The Bittersweet Barn
Poland has a rich history, so it makes sense that there are places to commemorate that history and share it with visitors. These two places will satisfy history buffs and be of interest to those who just enjoy beautiful places.
- Poland Spring Preservation Park: This site is home to the original Spring & Bottling Houses at Poland Spring, which have now become a museum. Visitors can see memorabilia, science displays, art galleries, and a display of Maine gems. The Spring House is the place to go to see the spring itself.
- Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village: Located in New Gloucester, this village is the only active and functioning Shaker Community in the world. There is a museum onsite as well as a library and special exhibitions.
Hiking and Outdoor Activities
- Hiking: Hikers will find no shortage of trails to explore in the Maine Lakes Region. During your getaway you can try out Bragdon Hill Conservation Area, Spring Road Trail, Poland Spring Preservation Park, or Pineland Farms. Wolf cove Inn also has a great blog on hiking and running activities in the area.
- Boating: There are many boat rental outfitters in and around Tripp Lake. Or take a guided trip on the Songo River Queen II.
- Skiing: During the winter there are several ski areas near the town of Poland, Maine, including Mount Abram, Sunday River, and Lost Valley. There are also several Nordic centers within the region.
- Range Ponds State Park: This is a superb state park to head to if you want to enjoy the outdoors. There are swimming beaches, self-guided trails, picnic areas and a boat launch. Popular activities at the park include motorized boating, canoeing, fishing, swimming, and watching wildlife.
Accommodations in the Town of Poland Maine
For the most relaxing getaway in the town of Poland Maine, be sure to book a stay at the Select Registry property in the area. Wolf Cove Inn is located on the eastern shore of Tripp Lake and features over 560 feet of private shorefront for guests. The lake is just 40 feet from the Inn’s front porch! The property also boasts beautiful gardens, pine groves, and lush lawns. Guests can enjoy relaxing getaways by taking advantage of this prime location with a private deck, a rowboat, canoes, and kayaks from the Inn. There are also several great scenic day trips that start at the inn. You get the full Maine experience when you stay at this Poland bed and breakfast, as the rooms are named after a special place in the state. Accommodations at the Wolf Cove Inn include rooms and suites with luxurious appointments such as fine linens and bedding and plush robes and towels. All the rooms have access to a refrigerator, microwave, and a small set of plates, cutlery, and glassware. Three of the accommodation options are also pet-friendly. No matter which room or suite you stay in, you can be sure that you’ll feel pampered and relaxed during your time at the Inn!