Things to Do in Harrisburg, PA
On the banks of the Susquehanna River you’ll find Harrisburg, the state capital of Pennsylvania. This city is known both for its beauty and rich history, having played a major role in the Westward expansion, the Civil War, and the Industrial Revolution. Now one of the largest metropolitan areas in the state, Harrisburg attracts many visitors throughout the year. It offers the sights and attractions of a big city with the convenience and charm of a small town.
6 of the best things to do in Harrisburg, PA:
- Riverfront Park, located along the picturesque Susquehanna, overlooks City Island, the historic borough of Wormleysburg and, off in the distance, Blue Mountain. It is a favorite hangout among locals, and home to many of the city’s annual festivals like the American MusicFest.
- Pennsylvania’s primary symbol of democracy and freedom is the Pennsylvania Capitol. This historic building was envisioned as a “Palace of Art”, and it is just that, housing numerous acclaimed pieces. Its notable dome makes for a gorgeous Harrisburg skyline as well.
- Located in the midst of the Susquehanna waters is City Island, a famous Harrisburg landmark. This little island is a park devoted to exploration and enjoying the urban outdoors, especially with the little ones. Sit on the beach, rent a paddleboat, or take a ride on the miniature train.
- The Pride of the Susquehanna offers the best of riverboat cruises. This is one of seven remaining authentic stern-driven paddleboats in the entire United States, and an experience truly unique to Harrisburg. A ride on the Pride is a great way to see the city.
- At the State Museum of Pennsylvania learn about the commonwealth’s natural and civil history through interactive and life-size exhibits that will engage the whole family.
- For a taste of Pennsylvania and a simple good time, head to the Broadstreet Market where you’ll find 40 different vendors set up Thursday through Saturday every week. Buy everything from fresh-picked produce, fresh cut meats, and various prepared snacks and meals. This is a great way to experience the city’s culture.
Where to Stay near Harrisburg, PA
Along with great things to do in Harrisburg, PA there are great places to stay. Your trip to Pennsylvania’s state capitol promises many exciting excursions among these great things to do in Harrisburg, PA, and only the best in luxury accommodations at one of these fantastic Select Registry bed and breakfast inns. Your time exploring will be just as enjoyable as time spent relaxing in your wonderful rooms.
Close by near Hershey, PA, you’ll find the elegant Londonderry Inn. This charming bed and breakfast offers the best in Pennsylvania hospitality. Stroll around the beautifully manicured grounds and stop to enjoy some time seated on benches beneath the canopy of trees. Great care has been taken to assure an atmosphere of rest, restoration and inspiration at The Londonderry Inn. Surrounded by flowering gardens this is the perfect place to reconnect with nature, or a loved one.
Similarly close to Harrisburg is the charming Annville Inn. located in the quiet countryside nestled in a three-acre botanical garden with sweeping views of the legendary Blue Mountains. This bucolic property features three acres of beautiful gardens, three koi ponds, and walking paths with scenic benches. You'll find spectacular amenities like a 38,000-gallon swimming pool, plant conservatory, game room with billiards, outdoor hot tub, and real movie theater, four season fire places, and heated whirlpool tubs!